Many allergic reactions in the home result from the presence of dust mites. Dust mites feed on organic materials such as human skin flakes, and they are a common cause of allergies and asthmatic symptoms worldwide. Inside a mite’s stomach, there are potent digestive enzymes that remain in their feces. When feces are excreted by dust mites, the enzymes as well as the mite’s exoskeleton become major inducers for allergic reactions.
Dust mites are so tiny that they cannot be seen with the naked eye and considered invisible unless viewed under a microscope. To control this pesky problem, we put together a few tips on how to get rid of dust mites.
Research has shown that certain essential oils a very effective in getting rid of dust mites. Since these tiny creatures tend to live in carpets, bedding, drapes, and furniture, you should focus on these areas to keep these little critters away. The most effective oils for eliminating household dust mites is clove and eucalyptus. Here are the steps on how to get rid of dust mites using essential oils.
1. Wash your sheets in hot water and add 10 drops of oil together with your laundry detergent.
2. With a 1-quart spray bottle, add 20 drops of oil to roughly 1 quart of water and spray this solution on upholstery.
3. Add 10 drops of essential oil to baking soda and shake it across your carpets using a sifter. Leave the mixture on the floor and let it sit for 30 minutes. After 30 minutes, vacuum it up.
4. When vacuuming, wear a mask to avoid inhaling allergens. You should also stay out of the vacuumed area for at least 20 minutes to allow any allergens or dust to settle.
5. Use a double-layered vacuum bag that has a microfilter or HEPA filter to trap allergens as they pass through your vacuum cleaner.
If you are suffering from bad allergies, dust mites could be the source of the problem. Using the tips we provided here on how to get rid of dust mites, you can make your home a healthier environment for yourself and your family.
Follow us for more great articles that will keep your home perfectly clean.